Seraphim Knit Along

Will hold your hand virtually while working on the Seraphim Shawl by designer Miriam L. Felton

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Serephim Update and questions

This is what the Serephim does at my house when there is still a ways to go in Stockinette before the lace begins. Anyway, here is my delima in reading ahead through the charts. I am assuming that the gray area is a "No Stitch" zone, so does that mean that I knit/purt the white squares until I reach the part in the red square and then repeat that part until the number of stitches remain to continue in the white knit/purl squares? Because the chart shows a kind of triangle thing happening. Also, do I read the chart from the bottom up and from Right to Left. Okay, I'm done freaking out. Any answers would ease my worried mind. . . thanks ladies.
~Peace, DAWN

3 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Miriam said...

The gray squares DO mean no stitch, so you just ignore them completely as if they weren't there. They only facilitate the charting of something that isn't rectangular onto rectangular charts.

You are correct about the repeat (the part in the red lines). You read the chart from the bottom up, with right side rows (the ones with patterning) from the right to left, and wrong side rows (which in this case are k2, p to the last 2 sts, k2) from left to right, just as you would be knitting them.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Redford Phyl said...

Don't panic, Dawn. (I did that last week.) Did my research, and found that the charts are read right to left, bottom to top. In this case, odd rows are pattern and even rows (right to left) are the purl rows. Ignore the gray squares and go from edge to pattern (with repeats) to center, etc. The charts threw me at first. I've used intarsia charts, but they're easier to follow, at least for me. One trick you may want to try - I have a metal sheet with strip magnets that I use when following tricky patterns. I move one strip to highlight the row I'm currently working on. Easier to see than marking off finished rows. Just my own preference.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

If you don't have a metal sheet and magnets, another thing that works is to use large Post-it notes. I place one just below the row I am working on and move it up as I go.

If I need to, I can write on the Post-it how many repeats I've done or where I stopped if the phone rings.

I haven't started the charts for Seraphim yet. Keep in touch and share how things are going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home