Seraphim Knit Along

Will hold your hand virtually while working on the Seraphim Shawl by designer Miriam L. Felton

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

New Old Knitter

Just a note to introduce myself. I recently picked up my needles after a 20 year hiatus, and am learning all over again. Last week I finished a sideways knit cardigan. It's finally blocked and I just need to attach the sleeves. Before that I did one of Cat Bordhi's felted moebius bags. I have mixed emotions about that one.

I've wanted to do a shawl, but have felt intimidated by some of the lace patterns — I've never done lace. Finally found the Seraphim pattern a couple of days ago and knew it was the pattern for me. I'm using an undyed lace-weight merino and size 6 Denise needles. I only have about 5.5 inches done, but I've become more at ease with the yarnovers and stitch markers. I'm sure I'll need some hand-holding when I get into the charts. I've used intarsia charts many times, but lace is a whole different thing!

Thanks for letting me join the group. Any tips and tricks from the experienced lace knitters will be very much appreciated.

Phyllis

4 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger EvaLux said...

No it ain't LOL... just like any chart a lace chart represents different stitches by symbols. An intarsia chart will represent different colors. If you want you can use colors too. Just color the yo's yellow, the double decreases green, a left slanting decrease red and a right slanting decrease blue... (colors given as example of course). Before you know it you'll be cruising along :)

Cheers Eva

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger InkyW said...

Welcome aboard!! I bet when you get to the lacy bits you'll be amazed how much easier it is - that and Mim's charts are superb (and I'd only used charts for cabling before I made Seraphim - who still needs blocking!!)

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome!!!!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Welcome, Phyllis! I'm sure you will love making Seraphim. I think it's a good choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home