Seraphim Knit Along

Will hold your hand virtually while working on the Seraphim Shawl by designer Miriam L. Felton

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Swatching

Hi everyone. I've just joined and am looking forward to making this beautiful shawl. This is my first time making a triangular shawl. I'm using laceweight wool from handpaintedyarn.com, a lovely cinnamon color, and I'm holding two strands together. That makes it slightly thicker than fingering weight, I'd say. I knit up a swatch this evening using first US4 and then US5 needles and then blocked it. The US5 are producing the right gauge. With the 4s I am getting 6 1/2 rows to the inch, which would make the shawl too small.

But my only long US5 is very slippery metal--I don't like it for lace. So my next step is to buy a bamboo circ.

I don't expect to finish this soon--it will probably be a long while, as I am also making the Kimono Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls, Knitty's Mon Petit Chou, socks, washcloths and felted items to sell at a fair, and a Branching Out (which is almost done). I guess you could say I'm a little overextended! But I do enjoy having a variety of projects going at once.

I love lace knitting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home